Wrinkles. Crow’s feet. Small breasts. Flat rear. As we get older, these signs of aging can annoy us and undermine our self-confidence. That’s why many men and women choose to have plastic surgery to correct some of these issues and make them look years younger.
One way you can correct the above aging signs is with fat transfer. Also known as fat grafting or fat injection, this procedure takes fat from places where you have too much – such as the thighs – and injects it into body parts without enough volume. Some examples include the hands, face, breasts, and rear.
Fat transfer is a safe and long-lasting cosmetic surgery procedure that can reverse some signs of aging, and it looks completely natural. Every year, thousands of Americans undergo fat transfer and are thrilled with the outcome. The next one could be you!
In this procedure, fat is taken from one body part – purified and washed – then reinjected with small needs into areas you want to enhance. Fat transfer may be needed several times to achieve ideal results.
This guide offers vital information about fat transfer, what it involves, outcomes, and much more.
Why People Get Fat Transfer
Many people choose a fat transfer to change their appearance in a natural way. The fat’s from your body so that it won’t be rejected, and the complications are usually minimal. Some of the reasons people opt for fat transfer include:
- To reduce wrinkles and creases in the face, such as around the eyes and mouth.
- To increase the size of the breasts naturally without using silicone or saline breast implants.
- To make longer-term corrections than are offered by short-term fillers.
- To add volume to the rear as well as other areas.
- To enhance the body contour, reduce scarring, and fill bodily depressions.
Types of Fat Transfer
You can achieve impressive results with fat transfer in these parts of the body:
Do you have irritating facial creases? We’re talking about smile lines, laugh lines, crow’s feet, etc. Fat can be sucked out of your thighs and belly and injected into these problem areas. Also, fat can be injected into acne scars and hollow parts of the face, cheeks, and lips.
Your surgeon also can use fat transfer to reduce the lines between the mouth and nose and eliminate those forehead wrinkles.
Want a modest increase in breast size? Fat transfer could be for you. But your chest should already have a good shape and tone for fat transfer alone to work its wonders.
If you have drooping breasts, lax skin, or want a larger bust size, you will need to look at other options. Your surgeon can only safely remove so much fat from other body parts.
SEE ALSO: Portland Breast Augmentation Procedure
If you need more shapely and/or larger breasts, silicone or saline breast implants are the best option. Then your plastic surgeon can use fat transfer to fill in any irregularities or wrinkles in the chest.
Do you have defects in the breasts after cancer? Then fat grafting can be the ideal way to minimize those issues. Fat transfer also can be the solution for breast reconstruction after a mastectomy.
But to get ideal breast volume, you’ll usually need to have several fat transfer procedures.
SEE ALSO: Portland Breast Revision Procedure
If you’re looking for a fuller rear, a ‘Brazilian butt lift’ can be the solution. This procedure usually uses fat transfer to provide a fuller, rounded shape without using implants. Liposuction may be used to sculpt the area and collect the fat to inject into the buttocks.
SEE ALSO: Portland Buttock Augmentation
Fat transfer into the hands can add volume and plump up areas with wrinkles. It also may cover blood vessels and tendons and enhance skin quality.
What You Can Expect
Ready for fat transfer to improve your look? Great! But let’s take a quick look at the process involved:
- Consultation: Your plastic surgeon will review your goals and determine why you want to have fat injection. He will also look at the body parts you want to be changed and the regions where fat could be removed. Also, you’ll need to share your past medical procedures, current medical issues, and medications you take.
- Procedure: As noted above, fat transfer can be used on many body parts, including the face, hands, breasts, buttocks, and more. He will carefully remove fat from specific body parts, wash and purify it, then carefully reinject it into the desired areas.
- Aftermath: After your fat transfer, your Portland board certified plastic surgeon will use appropriate bandages and/or compression garments on the treated areas, depending on your case. He also will provide pain medication as needed.
- Recovery: Depending on the areas treated with fat transfer, you could have swelling and bruising for a few weeks. Most people recover from fat transfer procedures within a few weeks or months. Final results can take several months to show.
Request a Fat Transfer Consultation
Do you dream about improving your appearance with fat transfer? A younger face, fuller chest, bigger rear? You can make it happen today! Dr. Aric Aghayan is proud to serve Portland area patients at his practice, Après Plastic Surgery.
He will consult with you for your Portland fat transfer consultation today. He’ll go over the options, your goals, and more to determine if you’re an ideal candidate for this procedure.
- Fat Grafting History and Applications. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/fat-grafting-history-and-applications
- Fat Transfer Overview. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.smartbeautyguide.com/procedures/injectables/fat-transfer/